Sunday, October 20, 2019

Starting Over?

In April, 2018, Crimson Romance went out of business. It was shortly after I moved to North Carolina when the bottom fell out of my publishing career. I was in the middle of a Regency series, had two of the books written and one published. I signed with an agent who suggested I write the third one in the series so she could try to salvage the series. The Regency period and I never seemed a good fit, though, and I found myself creating feisty secondary characters instead. I hired an author coach to help me right my ship and lost the agent.

I ended up taking the feisty secondary characters out of the strict Regency regulations in England, and plopped them into America at the beginning of the Revolutionary War. It seemed to have worked. The first book in my new Revolutionary War series was a finalist in a recent contest, and I've just received a contract for the book, to be published early next year.

All this reflection has made me realize my roots are in America, not England.




If you look at this past year and a half one way, I've wasted a lot of time and my loyal fans are losing patience with me. But on the other hand, I've found where my strengths are. I can't wait to begin promoting a new book, and launching a branding campaign for myself. Or rebranding, as it were. 

I'm pretty excited to see what comes next.

5 comments:

  1. Congrats Becky! Glad you kept at it. Publishing is not for the weak!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amanda. It's been a challenge, for sure.

      Delete
  2. Such good news Becky!! Sorry the road has been winding, but I’m glad you are on the right path!! Lmk if I can help!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura. I'll definitely keep my NEO friends in the loop when the book is ready to launch.

      Delete
  3. This is so exciting, Becky! I wish you the very best. When you ready to promo, I'll smash it all over my blog if you want.

    ReplyDelete