Sunday, August 12, 2018

Holding Myself Accountable

Shortly after moving to North Carolina, my publisher decided to pull the plug on the Crimson Romance line of books. I had been frantically working on the next book in the series when suddenly I didn't have a publisher, a series or a deadline.

For the first time in six years, I didn't have a book due every six months. There was nothing looming over me. I was in a new place, trying to find my way to the grocery store, the library, etc., and now I was faced with the possibility of never being published again. What to do?

I made a list of things to accomplish that week, both personal and professional. Items like getting a new driver's license went alongside writing 1000 words a day for five days. I really enjoyed marking things off the list. It gave me a sense of purpose and of pride when I could rip off the page with everything crossed off.

As I settled into my new life, I continued making a list each week. The list grew longer as I added things to my routine–the fitness club three times a week, physical therapy twice a week, taking care of my friend's mother every other weekend, writing 5000 words a week, applying for part-time work, etc.

Now it's become my routine to make a new list each Monday morning. So far, I've continued my program goal at the fitness center three times a week, I'm starting my second month of physical therapy, my agent and I have come up with a solid plan for my abandoned series and I've finished the first draft of my current work. Things are looking up, all thanks to finding a way to hold myself accountable during turbulent times.

How about you? What is your method for getting things done?

2 comments:

  1. I have long been a great believer in the "Things to Do" list. When I was younger, it was more a matter of trying to take care of chores and errands while still working full time. In retirement, it becomes more important to keep track of things to do that I could easily forget. I have more time, but a weaker memory and less energy. And if I don't take care of an item on the list, it gets carried over to the next week. Some chores take weeks to get accomplished. That's OK so long as I keep putting them on the list. Never underestimate the motivation of guilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love weekly lists. I have two, three in my notebook at all times to try to keep me on the right track. I think when you're in flux, having a goal, especially if it's your own deadline, helps keep the process in motion. It's when you let life just happen that things get lost. Consistency. It's one of my yearly words.

    ReplyDelete