Sunday, February 24, 2019

Thinking About Words

I just finished reading Julia Quinn's latest endeavor, The Other Miss Bridgerton. Her heroine, Poppy Bridgerton, had a thing for words. Specifically words that sounded like their meaning. One of her examples in the book was the word devoid. 

Which got me to thinking about other words that sound like their meaning. Here's my short list:

Ooze
Fizz
Swish
Shaggy
Wisp
Raindrop
Freeze
Kill
Phlegm



I'll add another to the list. The other day, I was wearing my slippers when I slipped on my wet floor and took a tumble. Does that count?

How about you? Do you have any favorite words that sound like their meaning? Or are Julia Quinn and I the only ones who ponder things like this? And is this type of word called onomatopoeia or ideophone?

No comments:

Post a Comment