Sunday, May 30, 2021

What's In a Name?

 Recently, I decided to dust off a manuscript that's been languishing under the proverbial bed for years and redo it. I blame Covid for giving me too much time to think about things. This is the story that started me on my writing path but which never saw the light of day, despite being written and rewritten numerous times. 

Part of my redo is to rename my main characters. No one knows anymore, or cares if they do, that Mary Jane used to be a code name for marijuana. 



And the hero's name needs to change also, since basing your characters on real persons can be filled with all kinds of landmines that are better avoided. He can still be from the same era, just not bear the name of a famous person.

So, new names are in the works. Along with a new title for the story. What, you might ask, am I keeping from the old manuscript? 

That's yet to be determined, other than the basic premise,  Time travel has always held an appeal for me. It's a good way to combine my love of history with my enjoyment of contemporary situations. And, after the crazy year we've all been through, it'll be fun to bounce back and forth from the past to the present, and figure out which is the more harrowing. 

As Rachel Maddow is fond of saying, watch this space.

1 comment:


  1. Don't tell me it was Donald. LOL
    I LOVE a good time travel book. (Maybe why we're connected - lol) You need to read Oona Out of Order if you haven't. Best Time Travel ever. Or at least for a long time.

    I'm very fond of characters with names that start with J. Even now. I just had to change a Jordyn to a Harper since I had three J characters in the same scene and the other two are main characters for the series.

    I also love the name Derek for some reason.

    A

    ReplyDelete