Sunday, May 29, 2016

Memorial Day

I have a confession to make. Yes, I'm an American, deeply rooted in our history and culture, as is obvious by my Cotillion Ball series, my History Imagined blog and a few other things I've got going on. But until my sister, who is a veteran of both the Army and the Navy, moved in with me two years ago, I didn't fly the flag off my porch or think much about Memorial Day, other than it was a welcome day off work.

But she did move in, and made me focus on what America does to pay back the brave men and women who serve our country. The VA hospital here in Cleveland is one of the best in the country. Every time I go with her for an appointment or a procedure, I'm continually impressed by the courtesy, the organization, the care and the dignity they show each person. Even those of us who never served are made to feel welcome.

So Monday's another Memorial Day. A day off from work for some, a time to crank up the grill and have a picnic with friends and family. But it's also a day to remember. Remember those good men and women who have fallen in service to our country. From the Revolutionary War to Afghanistan,
there are those who have answered the call to protect and defend. So take a moment today or tomorrow, or both, and remember. And thank them. Every time you meet someone who has served, thank them. We wouldn't be the great country we are if not for their service.

4 comments:

  1. Excellent post, Becky! Enjoy the holiday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joanne. Hope you have a good day as well.

      Delete
  2. Very good info. Lucky me I found your website by chance (stumbleupon).
    I've saved it for later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found my site. Also check out my posts on www.historyimagined.wordpress.com

      Delete