Sunday, May 8, 2016

Writing In Multiple Sub-Genres

Yesterday, I had two conversations with fellow authors on basically the same subject. If you're a loyal follower of this blog, you know I've been taking some time this year to try on all kinds of writing styles and sub-genres, to see which ones fit me comfortably and which ones tend to pinch my toes.

Conversation #1
went something like this–I have a paranormal series going and book one will come out this summer, but I had this idea for a contemporary and I started writing it and fell in love with the story. So, I'm putting paranormal on the back burner while I finish the contemporary up and send it off.

Conversation #2
was quite different, and went this way–I see you're all over the place with your writing now, not only with various publishers but with various writing styles. Maybe you should rein it in?

Which one is right? Or is there no right or wrong? It's hard to know. All I can do is follow my heart and my muse. When I wake up each morning and turn on the computer, which file do I want to open and work on? Right now, it's the contemporary that's in my driver's seat. Maybe next month, I'll wander back to my YA historical or spruce up my novella and send it elsewhere if the current publisher who is looking at it takes a pass. I have heard many authors who are much more successful than me state that you need to write in more than one genre, so who am I to argue? I think the key to this whole crazy industry is to keep writing, regardless of what genre your muse happens to lead you to.

Happy writing, everyone!


8 comments:

  1. I write in multiple genres, although romance suspense thrillers are my "primary" genre. I have historical, paranormal, and contemporary stories out, too. I've even taken a crack at sci-fi. I think you have to write what your heart tells you to, and go from there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your last line--write what your heart tells you to. That's going to be my philosophy from here on. Thanks, Susanne!

      Delete
  2. Tough choices, particularly with deadlines. I used to have multiple nonfiction and fiction projects and was crazed. Better than writer's block, I suppose. Now I am deeply immersed in my PNR series and my urban fantasy series is languishing. Research is very different and it's a completely different world, theme and characterization. I'm finding I have to focus on the last book in the paranormal series first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear what you're saying about the research being entirely different depending on the sub-genre. I sometimes feel like I'm living in the 19th century. It's nice to occasionally look up and get my head into present day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that I'm building a brand in cozy mystery, sometimes my cowboy/witchcraft/small town romance sometimes doesn't make as much sense to continue. Except, I tell everyone - romance and mystery fans, I write small town. The other stuff is just what goes on in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you have me beat in terms of sub-genres, Lynn. But it's all good writing, so who cares what the genre is? Small towns are wonderful to write about. So many ideas...

      Delete
  5. How fun to read this post after chatting with you Saturday! You know my views -- write what you love. The exception to that, I suppose, is if you have to write the next book in a certain genre. Then it's a little like work:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about that. I worked for four years to finish that series, so now I'm going to have some fun.

      Delete