Sunday, June 19, 2016

Character Study

As authors, we're given a lot of advice on how to write compelling characters, even to the point where we should take hours, days and even weeks before we begin writing to determine their characteristics, traits, birth order, number of siblings, etc. All these are things that help shape that character's personality.

I prefer to draw on my family for inspiration.

For instance, my brother, John, or Buzz, as we call him, is the only boy in a family of five children. When people hear that, they ask if he was a spoiled child, with all these girls taking care of him. Not only is he the only boy, he and my sister are twins and are the babies of the family. I can hear the 'awws' even now.

To set the record straight–we did not coddle our brother, even though he had to have major surgery when he was only six months old. He was all boy, playing sports throughout school, riding his bike all over Ohio, spending time with his guy friends rather than playing dolls with his sisters. We each had our own interests when we were growing up. Some of us learned homebuilding from our father, others spent time in the garden, growing produce which helped feed our large family. What Buzz did learn from growing up with girls is that girls are every bit as strong as boys and we can be as intelligent as boys. As a result, my brother is one of the most sensitive and caring men I've ever met. If that's the result of being raised in a family of girls, all men should be so lucky.

Photo courtesy of Barb Daisher
This was proven again during our latest get-together. We manage to get all of us in one place only once every three or four years, and it happened last week. One of my sisters, my brother, and I are considering buying a condo together, and spent a day with a realtor, also a female, examining several places. This realtor directed all her remarks to my brother, as though my sister and I were not there. As we were leaving, after an unsuccessful afternoon, this unenlightened realtor asked my brother if he would let her know when we were going to list my house. I was standing right there, alongside her, and she was aware I was the one with the house to sell, yet her remarks were directed to my brother.

Buzz grinned broadly, and said, "It's entirely up to Becky, if and when she will sell her house, and who she'll list it with." He nodded in my direction and I took it from there. Just as a strong, intelligent woman would.

So, when I'm writing a strong male character, who has a tender side and is able to relate to women, I don't need to come up with a long list of character attributes. I simply draw on my brother's personality. That's all I need to know.

8 comments:

  1. Great post, Becky--your brother sounds like a wonderful man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate. What a great post. Doris/Angela

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Doris/Angela. I draw on all my family members from time to time in my writing, as I'm sure we all do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love thinking through character traits when starting a new story. It helps me keep them in line as to what they would do or not do. And you're so fortunate to be able to draw from your brother's traits. Thoroughly enjoyed your delightful post. Wishing you the best. Love your covers by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beverly, for visiting today. I agree my brother's traits are ones I'd like every hero of mine to have. And, with all these sisters, I can come up with tons of conflict...

      Delete
  5. Becky, your brother sounds like a winner. I always wanted a brother when I was growing up--I BEGGED for one! But as I was born when my mom was 35 and she already had a 10-year-old and a 12-year-old, I was the last one. Whatever was that realtor thinking anyhow? KNOWING you were the one with the house to sell, yet asking your brother. Very odd. I agree with you about looking at family for character traits. That is a very good place to draw from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cheryl, for visiting ye old blog today. As we've gotten older, my siblings and I have formed tight bonds and my brother's taken on the role of protector for all of us. Such a good guy.

      Delete