Sunday, May 6, 2018

Still Learning

I attended an RWA chapter meeting in the Carolinas yesterday. I was drawn to it by the speaker, who was going to talk about deep POV, but I had never attended any of their meetings and didn't know anyone. I sat across from a lady and we got to talking. She's pre-published, still working on her first manuscript. She asked me the same question and when I told her how many books I'd written, she asked why I was even there. I explained that I felt I was still learning, too, and if I could walk away from the meeting with one nugget of info, I'd be happy.


So what did I learn? Glad you asked. I learned about enneagrams and that there are nine basic personality types and only three core emotions that drive a person's backstory–fear, shame and anger. I'm going to take the test later to determine what my personality type is, but I gave some thought last night to my characters in the mail-order bride story. Fear drives my heroine, shame drives the hero, so I guess I intrinsically knew this nugget before yesterday. But it was good to have it spelled out.

The icing on the cake was I got to spend time talking about writing with a group of ladies who "got" it. A new tribe? I don't know yet, but a few new friendships, yes. I'm feeling quite "cocky."

6 comments:

  1. I had never even heard of the word enneagram before. So, I Googled it and took a short test to determine my personality type. I am Type 9 - The Peacemaker. I read the description to my husband and we both agreed that it was a pretty good assessment. So, Becky, thanks for that nugget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Took the test, too. I had looked over the types before I took the test and thought I was a type 4--The Individualist, but the results came up a type 7--the Enthusiast. I really think I lean more to the 4, which was the test's second choice for me, but then one of the type 7 lists said I don't like being told what to do, which is dead on!

      Delete
  2. Cocky - I don't even like the word and am feeling a need to use it in everything I do. :) Glad you're fitting in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in full agreement with you, Lynn. We're two cocky ladies, aren't we?

      Delete
  3. This was interesting. I took the test and it said I was either Type 1, 4 or 7. Type 1 is The Reformer. Reformers are realistic, conscientious, and principled. I think I related most to this one. Type 4 is the enthusiast — I think this speaks to my creativity. And type 7 was the Individualist. This speaks to my more intuitive, emotional side. THanks for sharing. I love psychological profiles.

    Gently encourage me to lighten up and to laugh at myself when I get uptight, but hear my worries first.
    What I Like About Being a One

    Being self-disciplined and able to accomplish a great deal.
    Working hard to make the world a better place.
    Having high standards and ethics; not compromising myself.
    Being reasonable, responsible, and dedicated in everything I do.
    Being able to put facts together, coming to good understandings, and figuring out wise solutions.
    Being the best I can be and bringing out the best in other people.
    What's Hard About Being a One

    Being disappointed with myself or others when my expectations are not met.
    Feeling burdened by too much responsibility.
    Thinking that what I do is never good enough.
    Not being appreciated for what I do for people.
    Being upset because others aren't trying as hard as I am.
    Obsessing about what I did or what I should do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the test, Amanda. I like to take psychological profiles, too, so found this entertaining. And useful.

      Delete