Friday, January 15, 2021

Back To Normal?

As anyone who follows this blog knows, I've spent the last few years involved in the Revolutionary War. I feel like I've been part of the band of rebels, the Sons of Liberty, as I've written these books. I developed a great admiration for these brave souls, who led a revolution against a giant force and had the foresight to craft a body politic that has lasted for hundreds of years, with minor tweaks. 

Recent events have brought our Constitution into sharp focus once again. Perhaps it's time to tweak the document again, because, clearly, something's not working. We have half of America's population disenfranchised and thinking another revolution is what's needed to get our country back on course. 



Having lived in DC for a number of years, it breaks my heart to see the fortress it has become since January 6. This is not the country I grew up in, nor is it the country I want to live in now. Not only am I feeling unmoored because my series is at an end, I have a sense of dread that the country I love is at a crossroads. 

Will we ever get back to normal? What is normal anymore? Will enough of us get vaccinated so we can once again hug each other? Will I ever feel safe in the grocery again? 

I want that. I want to hug my friends. I want to visit the Mall in DC again and go to the new museums that have been erected in the last ten years. I want to see my family. I want to select my own bananas. 

I want normal. 

To see what 'normal' was like during the Revolution, read one of my Revolutionary Women books.











 



2 comments:

  1. Stand fast, my friend. We, the people, will be okay after this. We will recommit to our Constitution. DC will return to the symbol it is for us and the rest of the world. I have faith in good people. And science. And the best of this is love. (or something like that.) Stay safe my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Standing fast, as directed, Lynn, but my faith is definitely being tested. Give me a couple shots of vaccine and I'll be good to go.

      Delete