Sunday, November 1, 2020

Election Season

 Unless you've been living under a rock (which many of us here in the States wish we could do), you already know the significance of what's about to happen in America next Tuesday. We are all exercising our civic duty and voting for president and down-ballot races. As an author of American historical fiction, I am especially invested in this process that our forefathers fought so hard for. So, on the very first day of early in-person voting, I stood in line for over two hours. Here I am, at the back of the pack, waiting to get in the door of the building to the far left of the picture: 


I chose to vote in person, even in the face of a pandemic, because I live in a swing state, and mail-in ballots are going to be contested. And, even though I have faith in our electoral process, I didn't want my vote to be questioned in any way. I wanted my vote to be one of the first counted, as did a lot of other people, as you can readily see. And judging from the early turnout, both mail-in and in-person early voting in every state in this country, a lot of other people also want their voices heard. I can't help but think Sam Adams and the other Sons of Liberty, would be proud of us.  


Sam Adams

So, as we collectively hold our breaths and await the outcome, we can do so knowing we've made our voices heard. It may take weeks for the final outcome to be verified, and I hope that whichever way the outcome happens, we can be peaceful and civil about things and show the world our founding fathers had a great idea and it's been worth all the blood, sweat, and tears. If you haven't already done so, get out and vote on Tuesday. Pack your snacks and a bottle of water, take a book (may I recommend of my Revolutionary Women books to inspire you?) and wait your turn, regardless of how long it takes. Your country is counting on you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment